“March” into Nutrition!
Posted on March 04 2013
This morning, I heard a guy say that he loves the month of March because of March Madness… Personally, I like March because it is my birth month. But did you know that March is also the National Nutrition Month® (NNM), sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics?
According to eatright.org, The 2013 theme for NNM, “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day," “encourages personalized healthy eating styles* and recognizes that food preferences, lifestyle, cultural and ethnic traditions and health concerns all impact individual food choices. Registered dietitians play a critical role in helping people eat right, their way, every day.
*Based on 2010 Dietary Guidelines recommendations and MyPlate messages.”
Eating right, my way, every day can be an easier task than convincing our children to do the same. My 8 year-old daughter enjoys eating fruits and (some) vegetables, but I’m sure she would take a lollipop over a bowl of steamed broccolis if she had the choice. So instead of trying to win this nutritional battle with them, how about making delicious and nutritious snacks with them? Read on for some suggestions for quick snacks that you and your children can make together…
- Yogurt Parfait:Layer some vanilla yogurt with some blueberries, bananas and/or strawberries.Top it with some granola or some honey-roasted nuts.(Almonds are my favorite)
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding:In a blender or a food processor, mix1 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt, 2 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder, 2 Tablespoons of Creamy Peanut Butter, 3 Tablespoons of Honey, Agave Nectar or Stevia (depending on your preference).You can substitute 2 bananas for Greek Yogurt if you wish.
- Take plain air-popped popcorns and sprinkle Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Use Pretzel Sticks to make Snack Kebobs by adding Mozzarella Cheese Cubes and Grapes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Cocoa Powder in Vanilla Yogurt. Dip a Peeled Banana in the yogurt and roll in crushed cereal or chopped nuts…Freeze and enjoy!
Jheni Solis,Sarvanga FitnessSarvanga Fitness is a “whole-body” fitness company based out of Dallas, TX providing group fitness instructions in Zumba® Fitness, Yoga, Meditation and other fitness formats.